3.05.2011

saturday in the park

I've never been much of a runner but it's been a busy week and I thought a good run would let me release some of the "busy" pressure. Our apartment doesn't allow much light to come through the windows so at 11am it still looks like it's about 6am or either a really cloudy day.  I figured it was just cloudy but decided I would go for a run anyway.  When I stepped out of my apartment, I was so pleasantly surprised with perfect blue skies and the temperature higher than expected; it was a sign.  

I started out towards Central Park, since I'm just 2 short avenues away, and figured I would take a quick run along the park, not through it.  I instantly changed my route when I saw all the runners and families out with their strollers on this beautiful Saturday in the park (thank you Chicago for such a great song).  I didn't have a set route and once I started running, I couldn't stop because of the beauty that is Central Park.  I eventually stopped when I got to "The Mall," the famous fountain that looks out over the lake as well as the famous Boathouse Restaurant.  I took a break at the fountain for a bit to enjoy a little people watching; the tourists, musicians, and readers, and couples who were so in love.  Some were just admiring the beautiful day, others taking as many pictures as would fit on their cameras.

It hit me then that I'm not a tourist in this city, I'm one of the few (million) lucky people that get to call this place home.  I ran back along the lake, taking in all the nature in the middle of this huge city.

If I'm this in love in February when there is no green grass nor a sign of leaves on the trees, what's going to happen when Spring comes?  I hear it's breathtaking and I cannot wait to soak up all the beauty that is my new home.

Sorry, I didn't bring a camera along on my run!

No comments:

Post a Comment